Wonders of The Rich Coconut ( Cocos nucifera)
Coconut palm is considered a native of Malesia, a bio-geographical region that includes Southeast Asia, Indonesia, Australia, New Guinea, and several Pacific Island groups. Coconuts have been recorded in archaeological excavations and epigraphic inscriptions, in Sanskrit scriptures of religious, agricultural, and Ayurvedic importance, and in historical records as well as travelogues of visitors from China, Arab, and Italy. Its usefulness and multiplicity of uses has earned it epithets like “Tree of life”, “Tree of heaven”, “Tree of abundance”, and Kalpavriksha,(a tree that provides all necessities of life). In addition to its food value, it has health, medicinal and cosmetic value. As you may have guessed, coconuts are highly nutritious, rich in fiber and packed with essential vitamins and minerals.
Mature, ripe coconuts can be used as edible seeds, or processed for oil and plant milk from the flesh, charcoal from the hard shell, and coir from the fibrous husk. Dried coconut flesh is called copra, the oil and milk derived from it are commonly used in cooking – frying in particular – as well as in soaps and cosmetics. Sweet coconut sap can be made into drinks or fermented into palm wine or coconut vinegar.
- Prevents Dehydration – Young coconuts are of more health enhancing. The water in the young coconut is one of the highest sources of electrolytes. Electrolytes are responsible for keeping the body properly hydrated so the muscles and nerve can function appropriately.
- Coconut water is low in calories, carbohydrates and sugar and almost completely fat -free. In addition, it is high in ascorbic acid, B vitamins and proteins.
- It is rich in medium – chain fatty acid that can boost metabolism and aid in fat loss.
- Helps in detoxifying the body and balances the digestive tract.
- Its oil is one of the most stable oils when cooking in hot heat since it does not form harmful by product.
- Improves digestion and absorption of nutrients, vitamins and minerals.
- Improves insulin secretion and symptoms associated with diabetes.
- Supports immune system health: It is anti – viral, anti – bacterial, anti – fungal and anti – parasitic.
- Increases semen production.
- A good source of trace minerals such as zinc, potassium, magnesium, etc.
- Protects the body against cancer through insulin reduction and removal of free radicals that cause premature aging and degenerative disease.
- Reduces the risk of heart disease and improves good cholesterol (HDL).
- Restores and supports thyroid function.
- Helps protect against kidney diseases and bladder infections.
- Helps keep the hair and skin healthy and youthful looking.
- Prevents wrinkles, sagging skins, and age spot and provides sun protection.
It is better to take coconut water after an intense workout than to take carbonate drinks since it contains high content of electrolyte which helps our body more hydrated than the carbonate drinks.
People with type 2 diabetes should take coconut water moderately to avoid hick up of their sugar level.