THE BENEFITS OF ORANGE
Oranges are round orange-coloured citrus fruits. They vary in size and taste ranging from sweet to sour . Sweet Orange (Citrus cinensis) has low calorie , is very nutritious and contains more than 100% of the daily recommended amount of Vitamin C . They are super affordable and readily available.
A medium-sized orange contains:
3 grams of fiber
12 grams of sugar
1 gram of protein
14 micrograms of vitamin A
70 milligrams of vitamin C
6% of your daily recommended amount of calcium
237 milligrams of potassium
15.4 grams of carbohydrates
No fat or sodium
BENEFITS OF ORANGE
1. Potassium content in orange helps to reduce blood pressure.
2. Oranges are a good source of natural sugars
3. Oranges are a good source of Vitamin C hence helps to boost the body’s imunity.
4. Vitamin C in Orange helps the body make COLLAGEN. Collagen heals wounds and gives a smoother skin
5.Citric acid and citrates prevent the formation of kidney stones
6. A good therapy for fighting anaemia since Vitamin C increases level of absorption of Iron.
7.Fights free radicals causing cancer
Oranges have low levels of potassium, but if the body has too much potassium already, it can cause a potentially serious condition called hyperkalemia. At max, one should not consume 1-2 oranges in one day.
Vitamin C may also increase absorption from medicines that contain aluminum, like phosphate binders, and increase your estrogen levels if you’re on hormone replacement therapy.
Conclusion: Deficient in Vitamin C? All you have to do is get this Citrus fruit, peel and eat! You can store your oranges at room temperature out of direct sunlight.
University of Rhode Island: “Citrus Fruits.”
National Institutes of Health: “Vitamin C: fact sheet for consumers,” “Vitamin C, fact sheet for health professionals.”