The African star apple (Agbalumo)
The African star apple (Chrysophyllum albidum) which is popularly known as abgalumo or African cherry is a nutrient dense food with relatively low caloric content and significant amounts of important nutrients and bioactive food components. It also includes fiber, polyphenols, carotenoids, vitamin C, calcium and iron.
Consumption of agbalumo generally promotes health.
- Research indicates that taking this fruit may help in weight reduction.
- It also helps with abdominal bloating and cramps.
- The bark has shown some antimalarial potential in recent research.
- The leaves have potential in lowering sugar levels thus can be used in the treatment of diabetes. It’s high calcium content also suggests it can be used in the treatment of arthritis.
- Furthermore, there is evidence that consumption of the cherry may improve sleep, cognitive function, and recovery from pain after strenuous exercise.
They are a good source of minerals such as potassium, iron, zinc, copper and manganese. The fruit also contains large quantities of fiber which helps in weight reduction. It also contains good amounts of vitamins C, A and K
Toxicity: Consumption of large amounts of star apples leaves may have toxic effects.
The PUNCH (2017). Health benefits of African cherry. https://www.google.com/amp/s/punchng.com/health-benefits-african-cherry/%3famp. Assessed on 20/11/2022